Well I thought that I would share my esxperience yesterday morning while taking Lillie to school. It was a beautiful Wednesday morning, the air was crisp, the sun was shining and the mood was calm. Lillie and I were in the car driving to drop her off at school. As I turned onto the road that her school was located off of her and I were talking and not really paying attention to anything around us.
All the sudden I see some lights flash behind me and I start to think "is he pulling me over or does he just want around me". So I pull over to let him by but he follows right behind, "Oh Crap". He walks up to the car, and at this point I had no idea how fast I was going, and asks me if I knew why he pulled me over. I calmly (and truthfully) reply "I have no idea". To which he says "well I clocked you going 24 in a 20 MPH SCHOOL ZONE".
Then the alarms are going off in my head of: this is going to coast a fortune, Audrey is never going to let me live this down, etc.
He then adds "you just need to make sure that as you get closer to a school that you slow down".
"Yes sir I agree" I reply
"Are you taking your daughter to school" he asks
"Yes sir, I am dropping her off on my way to work" I state with hope in my voice that he will let me go
"License and registration please" he demands
I am really worried now. He isn't just going to give me a warning, I am going to have to pay the piper for this one.
He goes back to his car and starts to do whatever cops do while you have to sit waiting for them while acting as the latest circus show for all of the drivers passing by. I was amazed and the look of disgust on some of the 6 year old faces as they walked by. They seemed to be telling me through their eyes "you fast driving jerk, how could you speed in my school zone"
So we are sitting there for about 5 miniutes when all of the sudden Lillie asks "What is taking so long, are we going to be late for school?" This by the way is her #1 concern.
"Well Lillie when you are pulled over, police officers take a long time to fill out their paper work and come back to your car" I reply
"This is taking to long" she complains
"I know but it will be over soon" I say trying to be a good dad
At that moment that police officer is walking up and Lillie starts with one more comment "Dad police officers take a really long time and make people late, right daddy" to which I quickly respond in a whisper "lets stop talking about it before the police officer gets to the window please".
Finally, the officer is at my window and tells me "it my job to slow people down in school zones" and "when I am back on this street I do not want to see you speeding again. I am not going to give you violation today just a written warning".
All I could hear for the next 10 seconds was the sound of the heavenly choirs singing "hallejuha". I promptly signed my warning and continued about my day.
All I can say is that I am glad that Lillie was in the car or otherwise I think that I would have been dead meat and paying a huge fine, so thank you Lillie.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment