Thursday, January 12, 2017

Grant Gets Stitches

     One afternoon this Spring a little before school was over I got a call from the school nurse saying that Grant had hit his head on the playground and needed to be picked up for possible stitches. As a frequent receiver of calls from the school nurse I was hesitant to wake my baby up from a nap and head down there. I mean, they are alway so overly cautious. No, the nurse was insistent. I really needed to come and get him. 
     Holy crap is what I thought when I walked in and saw his head bandaged up. It was a super thick and deep cut. So here's the story: He's playing tag on the playground and a kid was chasing him and tagged him pretty hard as he was running up the metal steps of the playscape. He tripped and slammed his eyebrow against the metal step. There was blood curdling screaming. Mrs, Friesenhahn said it was like a horror movie. Grant had blood gushing everywhere all over his face and kids were screaming all over the place. She had to pick him up and run him to the nurse as he couldn't see for all of the blood in his eye. 
     So we bring him home and am put through the extremely tormenting task (for indecisive hospital goers such as myself) of trying to figure out if he needs stitches or not. I have never had to deal with stuff like this. So I have my neighbor a mother of two teenage boys come over. Her husbands a Dr. but he's not home. She says she can't say for sure but she'd take him in. I send a pic to Tim who has load of experiences with head injuries and stitches. He immediately responds to take him in. So off to the Dr. we go. 
Cleaned up but not stitched up

Ready to be numbed up
Grant did a fantastic job! He laid there so nicely and only complained on the last stitch. I sat and watched the entire thing but I felt nauseous and had the shivers running from my neck to my 
bum-hole the entire time. Especially on that first stitch when the doc lifted the skin with the needle and I could see his bone. Ew. Gross. Also...awesome.


This situation totally deserved a trip to Freddy's for frozen custard.

     After it's all healed up I started talking about putting stuff on his eye to help the scar disappear and he replies "no mom! I love my scar! I don't want it to disappear!" So....I'm just rubbing it on at night after he goes to sleep....Mwuhahahaha! You're welcome Grant's future wife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment